Verified Reviewer

I joined Facebook at the behest of some family members. It was the easiest way to keep in touch with interested people while some family-related events were happening.

The events are over and I don't think I have updated my Facebook page since 2018. However, the account is still out there and anything posted to it will reflect on me..My computer was hacked and my password exposed. I went to all accounts (including Facebook) that might use that password or one that was similar and gave them new (and individually unique) passwords.

I logged into each of the accounts with the new passwords to verify that nothing had been compromised. When I tried to log in to Facebook, the log in page complained that I was logging in from an unknown computer and I would need to verify who I am.

Verification required a photo of a photo id and a video of my face in various positions.

The computer is the same one I have been using since I opened my Facebook account. There have been no hardware changes.

If my computer had been changed, why was that not detected when I changed the password? It seems that a hacker could make a Facebook account unusable by just changing the password. The owner would not be able to access the account and the hacker is not going to send photos to Facebook so s/he can't use the account either.

I had no problem with any of the other accounts where I changed the password.

Asking for photo id and video is overkill and seems nefarious to me.

Support is not available to the public and the help website is useless because it does not address this specific problem. Emails sent to the standard addresses (support@***.com, admin@***.com, sales@***.com, etc) all bounce back.

I have alerted my friends and family about the problem. I asked them to let me know if they see any changes on my page.

If nothing gets posted then I'll just ignore the problem. If something negative gets posted I'll have to explore legal avenues to a solutionTelephone, text.

User's recommendation: Telephone, text and email can keep you current with friends and family. If you really need a social media page, look for something other than Facebook.

Product or Service Mentioned: Facebook Customer Care.

Preferred solution: Delete my account and all postings to it..

Facebook Pros: Social media.

Facebook Cons: Not convinced they respect privacy, Almost non-existent customer support.

Comments